The DRG Class E 18was manufactured by the manufacturers AEG and Krupp in two production surges: Before the outbreak of the Second World War, during the years 1935-1939 and after the war, 1954-1955. Of the DRG were 55 Produced vehicles that were operated by the German Reichsbahn until 1945, later by the German Federal Railways, by the German Reichsbahn of the GDR and by the Austrian Federal Railways. Until 1984, individual 118 series vehicles were still in regular passenger service schedules.
Details of DRG Class E 18
- Manufacturer: AEG, Krupp
- Length: 16.920 mm
- Numbering: various
- Weight: 108,5 t
- Years of Construction: 1935−1939, 1954−1955
- Top speed: 150 km/h
- Retirement: 1984 (DB) 1991 (DR)1992 / 2001 (ÖBB)
- Drive:spring cup
- Power system:</strong 15 kV 16⅔ Hz AC
- Numbers: 227
- Power:2840 kW
- Command:Sifa, Indusi
The technology of the DRG Class E 18
With a top speed of 150 km / h, the famous series was one of the fastest rail-based electric vehicles in the German-speaking world. For their speed, the electric locomotive DRG Class E 18 1937 in Paris was awarded the Grand Prix. It was originally developed by AEG for heavy express train service. The 118 series was designed for gauge standard gauge (1,435 mm) and weighed 108.5 t. Their total length was 16,920 mm. The power was transmitted via overhead contact line to 4 traction motors. An hourly output of 3,040 kW and a continuous output of 2,840 kW were achieved.
Route service and whereabouts
The German Reichsbahn used the DRG Class E 18 for the route service Munich-Berlin and in Silesia. The 7 locomotives in Schlesien were seized in 1945 by the Red Army. In Austria, since 1937, a total of 8 locomotives in use, which were given in 1940 to the German Reichsbahn and 1944 destroyed, or were retired in 1945. A total of 6 of the locomotives had fallen victim to air raids during the war. However, 39 of the vehicles in the route network of the German Federal Railways, 3 vehicles in the German Reichsbahn of the GDR and 2 locomotives at the Austrian Federal Railways were used over a long period in passenger transport. The German Federal Railroad in 1984 examined the last vehicle, the German Reichsbahn 1991 and the Austrian Federal Railways 2001.