The diesel locomotive DR Class 120 (DB BR 220) belongs to the building type Co'Co'. The Co'Co' type is equipped with three individually driven axles in two different frame bogies.

More interesting facts

The diesel locomotive DR Class 120 was produced on the one hand as a famous locomotive of the DB and on the other hand as a “Taigatrommel” of the DR. In order to provide the required services, the diesel locomotive DR Class 120 required two traction diesels for the main and branch line service. This drove up the maintenance of the otherwise very solid constructed locomotives in the air. In addition, the series 220 with the more powerful diesel locomotive class 221 (facelifting) competition in-house and lost with the advancing electrification their field of application. At just over 30 years, the 220 series therefore reached a very low age. A number of machines were sold. The SBB used them as Am 4/4 before construction trains. The DR Class 120 diesel locomotive was built in the years 1953 to 1959, has a capacity of 1620 kW, a length over buffers of 18,470 mm and a service mass of 81 t and was built 86 times.

Details of the DB Class 120


  • Manufacturer: Locomotive factory Luhansk
  • Length: 17550 mm
  • Numbering: Various
  • Weight: 115,1 t
  • Years of construction: 1966 - 1975
  • Top speed: 100 km/h
  • Retirement: 1995
  • Fuel supply: 3900 l Diesel
  • Attractive force: 350 kN
  • Numbers: 378
  • Power: 1470 kW
  • Engine type: Kolomma 14 D 40
  • Train heating: electric
  • Power transmission: electric

The DR Class 120 - The standard diesel locomotive for the Eastern Bloc

Among the Lugansker standard diesel locomotives for the Eastern Bloc were included in the Reichsbahn initially classified as series 220 “Taiga Tommies” or “Wummen”. These were simply built, heavy machines for freight traffic. Two diesel locomotives replace three steam locomotives. Drivers and workshops appreciated the robust construction. Small structural changes, such as the installation of a warming device for the cooling circuit, were mainly due to the different operating conditions in the Soviet Union and the GDR. Numerous machines drive for private railways. The diesel locomotive DR Class 120 in the DR version was produced 1966 to 1975 with a capacity of 1470 kW. The machine measures a length over buffers of 17,550 mm, weighs 116 t and was produced in a quantity of 378 copies.