The steam locomotives of the 19 series was also referred to as Saxon genus XX HV or Sachsenstolz. The steam locomotive Saxon XX HV is a quadruple-coupled express train tender locomotive of the Royal Saxon State Railways. These locomotives were the only express train locomotives with the wheel alignment 1’D1 ‘(Mikado) and at the time of their appearance also the largest express train locomotives in Europe. From 1925, the German Reichsbahn ordered the locomotives as steam locomotive BR 19.
Details of the Saxon XX HV
- Manufacturer: Saxon machine factory
- Length: 22632 mm
- Numbering: 66–80, 206–213 DR: 19 001–023
- Weight: 162,7 t
- Years of construction: 1918 - 1923
- Top speed: 100-120 km/h
- Retirement: until 1967
- Fuel supply: hard coal
- Water supply: 9.0 m³
- Numbers: 23
- Power: 1800 PSi
- Brake: Westinghouse Air Brakes
- Boiler overpressure: 14 bar
The story of the Saxon XX HV - DRG Class 19
The Saxon XX HV (steam locomotive DRG Class 19) were the last Saxon fast train locomotives and are considered the highlight of the Saxon locomotive construction. These express train locomotives were used on the bend and incline-rich Mittelgebirgsstrecke Drsden-Hof. Related were the Saxon XX HV with the developed at the same time genus XVIII H and received in contrast to this a fourth coupling axle and a four-cylinder compound engine. A total of 23 copies were made by the Saxon Maschinenfabrik in Chemnitz, between 1918 and 1925. 1925 got the locomotives of the German Reichsbahn the operating numbers 19 001-023. The locomotives of the class 19 of the year of construction 1922 were initially stationed in Stuttgart-Rosenheim and those of 1923 in Frankfurt am Main. From 1925 all 23 machines were located in Dresden Altstadt and Reichenbach/Vogtland. The use on flat roads proved to be disadvantageous, since the coal consumption was higher than on the main line. Thus, an assignment on the route Dresden-Berlin was only an exceptional case.
19 021 was destroyed in World War II by a bomb hit. The remaining vehicles remained in the DR’s holdings after 1945, however, some were no longer put into operation due to war-related damage. Until the retirement in the 1960s, the locomotives had continued their use on the routes Dresden-Hof and Leipzig-Hof. The locomotives were phased out in 1967 in connection with the electrification. The only copy of the 19 017 remained as an inoperable museum locomotive. It is located in the Railway Museum Bw Dresden Altstadt and belongs to the Transport Museum Dresden.