The tender locomotives DRG Class 89 belong to the type C h2. They have 3 driven axles which are coupled together. The steam is hot steam and the locomotives have 2 cylinders.

More interesting facts

The steam locomotive of the DRG Class 89, more precisely the Prussian T3, is a triple coupled tender locomotive. The first locomotive of this type was built in 1881. This possessed still no steam dome, which came only with later steam locos starting from 1887 to it. Therefore, the arrangement of sandpit and sand spreader had to be changed. Even later, further improvements and enlargements were made, such as the stocks of water and coal, which explains the versatility within the steam locomotive DRG . All in all, about 1,550 copies were mainly used by the Prussian State Railways until 1911.

The main features of the steam locomotive DRG Class 89 are the six wheels, a low-lying boiler and the long chimney. The first designer was the company Henschel & Sohn in Kassel, which gave the locomotive its first name “3/3 T.L.” (tender locomotive). This initially became T3; with the takeover of 511 locomotives in 1925 by the recently founded Deutsche Reichsbahn, the T3 with BR 89.70-75 received their still valid name.

Details of the DRG Class 89


  • Manufacturer: Henschel a.o.
  • Length: 8.300 / 8.951 mm
  • Numbering: various
  • Weight: 28,9 - 31,9 t
  • Years of Construction: 1882 ff.
  • Top speed: 40 km/h
  • Retirement: 1968
  • Fuel supply: 1,9 t Hard coal
  • Water supply: 5.0 m³
  • Numbers: über 1300
  • Power: 213 kW / 290 PSi
  • Boiler overpressure: 12 bar
  • Brake: partly Air brake

So the DRG Class 89 is used today

The last proven scheduled use of a steam locomotive of the DRG Class 89 series was probably in the fall of 1979 as part of the so-called sugar beet campaign instead. Many copies were already scrapped at this time. Today there are still twelve models of the DRG Class 89, six of which are still operational. Their uses are varied: 89.6009 (formerly 89.7403) of the Railway Museum Dresden-Altstadt was loaned for the feature film “Die Gustlow”; the “No. 16 Schunter “of the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Historische Eisenbahn e.V. (Almetalbahn) is used for museum purposes and is also a listed building; the former railway “Niedersachsen” is regularly used by the railway friends Hasetal between Meppen and Essen (Old).