The locomotives DRG Class 74 belong to the type 1'C h2. They feature 1 mainframe independent of the mainframe and 3 coupled axles in the mainframe. The steam is hot steam and the locomotives have 2 cylinders.

Continue reading

The steam locomotive DRG Class 74, also called Prussian T12, a hot steam variant of the wet steam locomotive T 11, was first tested in 1902. From 1905 to 1921, a total of 1014 copies (DR 74 401-543, 545-1321) of this twelve-meter-long and 65-tonne locomotive were produced in the Union Foundry and at Borsig Berlin. Among the structural peculiarities of the series was the installation of the two-cylinder engine between the wheelset and the first coupling axle. The unusually long inlet and outlet pipes of the steam engine have their reason in this arrangement. To improve cornering performance, the DRG steam locomotive was equipped with a Krauss-Helmholtz steering rack, a special drawbar connection between the coupling and running axles, which allows opposing movement of the two axles. Except in the passenger traffic of the Prussian state railways, which had at the 1000 pieces from the series 74 in enterprise, the powerful one (in the level could be moved nearly 300 t with 75 km / h, the maximum speed was with 80 km / h) but because of Too few boiler reserves not very very persevering locomotive among others used in the Reich Railway Alsace-Lorraine and the Halberstadt-Blankenburg Railway. In and around Berlin drove the T12 as predecessor of the later of the S-Bahn on the entire urban and ring course net.

Details zur Dampflok BR 86


  • Manufacturer: Union, Borsig
  • Length: 11.800 / 12.100 mm
  • Numbering: DR 74 401–543 & 545–1321
  • Weight: 65,6 t
  • Years of Construction: 1902-1921
  • Top speed: 80 km/h
  • Retirement: 1968
  • Fuel supply: 2,5 t Hard coal
  • Water supply: 7.0 m³
  • Numbers: 1014
  • Power: 640 / 669 kW
  • Boiler overpressure: 12 bar

The use of the steam locomotive DRG Class 74 from 1924

With the electrification from 1924 found the locomotives more and more in the short freight line and shunting service use. 899 copies were taken over in 1925 by the Reichsbahn, most of them from the possession of the Prussian State Railways, others from the Imperial Railways in Alsace-Lorraine and the railways of the Saar. Since the German Reichsbahn of the GDR could not do without steam locomotives completely, they got four locomotives of the Halberstadt-Blankenburger contingents. At the Deutsche Bahn until 1968, all locomotives of the DRG Class 74 were retired. Today, the last three surviving examples of the steam locomotive DRG Class 74 are rare contemporary documents. The Railway Museum Bochum-Dahlhausen and the Transport Museum Dresden each still have a temporarily operational locomotive, the numbers 74 1192 and 74 1230th Another locomotive is located in Poland.