The DRG Class 05 were intended for high travel speeds and thus belong to the category express locomotives. Of the DRG Class 05 existed only individual pieces – three locomotives in two basic forms – and corresponded largely to the unit steam locomotive. The DRG Class 05 002 set a world record in 1936 with a speed of 200.4 km/h and thus remained the fastest steam locomotive in Germany.
Details of the DRG Class 05
- Manufacturer: Borsig
- Length: 26 265 mm (05 001 & 002) 27 000 mm (05 003)
- Numbering: 05 001 - 05 003
- Weight: 129,5 t
- Years of construction: 1935 & 1937
- Top speed: 175 km/h
- Retirement: 1958
- Fuel supply: 10 t of hard coal, 12 t of coal dust
- Water supply: 37 & 35 m³
- Number: 3
- Power: 2500 kW / 2544 kW
- Boiler overpressure: 20 bar (reduced to 16 bar in 1950)
Fields of application of the DRG Class 05 before the Second World War
The DRG Class 05 001 and 05 002 were manufactured in 1935 and the DRG Class 05 003 1937 by the company Borsig in Berlin-Tegel. The special feature of this series is the streamlined fairing, which was installed to achieve higher speeds. From 1936, the scheduled use of the 05 001 and 05 002 between Berlin and Hamburg. Stationed these locomotives were in the Bw Hamburg-Altona. The travel time between Berlin Lehrter Bhf and Hamburg Hbf was 145 to 151 minutes when covered at a speed of 145 km/h. With the beginning of World War II, the faster FD trains were discontinued and the locomotives were used in the general express train service. In locomotive 05 002 in November 1941, and at locomotive 05 001 in May 1942, the Stromlinienverkleidung was partially removed in the engine. Loco 05 001 collided with a shunting locomotive at the Ashausen station on March 2, 1943 and overturned, but was repaired again. The Loco 05 003 was still used for testing purposes. In this locomotive, the cab was arranged in front to ensure a better track view. To implement this project, the entire locomotive was turned. The locomotive preceded the standing boiler and was fired with coal dust. However, this did not prove successful, so that the coal dust burned incomplete and deposited as slag on the pipe wall or in the Racuhrohren. At the end of 1944, the machine was converted to normal hard coal firing and henceforth it was preceded by a smoke chamber. The Stromlienienverkleidung was completely removed and delivered the locomotive on February 14, 1945 in Hennigsdorf. By 01 March 1945 put the 05 003 for the bw Hamburg-Altona only 503 kilometers back.
Use and whereabouts of the DRG Class 05 after the Second World War
After the end of the war the 05 003 was in operation for the Bw Hamm. The locomotives 05 001 and 05 002 were postponed for the time being by the repair before they were transferred in April 1950 to the company Krauss-Maffei and repaired. The remains of the panel were removed and the machines put back into service. The 05 002 and 05 003 were retired in 1958 and scrapped until 1960. The DRG Class 05 001 was spared from the scrapping. Locomotive 05 001 received its Stromlinienverkleidung back in the repair work Weiden and stands since 1963 in the Transport Museum Nuremberg.