The steam locomotive DRG Class 86 belongs to the type 1'D 1 'h2. They feature 1 mainframe independent of the mainframe and 4 coupled axles mounted in the main frame and 1 rear axle mounted in the main frame. The steam type is superheated steam and the machines have 2 cylinders.
The [amazon_textlink asin=’3895806188′ text=’Steam Locomotive Class 86′ template=’ProductLink’ store=’eisenbfrbln-21′ marketplace=’DE’ link_id=’9b6ea6bc-927c-11e8-b1b8-63a3c31318f1′] hoarded to the unit freight locomotives the German Reichsbahn (DR). The steam locomotive was built in the period 1928-1943 of various preparations, such. MBG Karlsruhe, Linke-Hoffmann-Werke, Friedrich Krupp AG and others. A total of 776 machines were produced. The biggest change in the later series locomotives was finally the renouncement of the Riggenbach backpressure brake. The DRG Class 86 was designed for use on the side limits. She was first inserted in the plains. In addition, after the war was also set for the time being on the low mountain range. Furthermore, in May 1943, the last 86 delivered and stopped the production of 1E steam locomotives 42 and 52 series.
Details of the DRG Class 86
- Manufacturer: Henschel & Sohn u.a.
- Length: 13820 mm
- Numbering: various
- Weight: 88,5 t
- Years of construction: 1928 - 1943
- Top speed: 70-80 km/h
- Retirement: 1972 (ÖBB); 1974 (DB); 1976/1989 (DR)
- Fuel supply: 4 t Hard coal
- Water supply: 9.0 m³
- Numbers: 776
- Power: 758 kW / 1030 PSi
- Brake: Single-chamber air brake type Knorr with additional brake
- Boiler overpressure: 14 bar
Fields of application of the DRG Class 86 after the end of the war
After the war, many locomotives remained in the four occupation zones, Czechoslovakia, Austria and Poland, as well as, by seizure, in the Soviet Union. Finally, the series 86 009 and 86 016 were lost. Machines were also left on the Deutsche Bahn network – 386. 8 of them were taken out of service in 1952 due to war damage. Most of the 86 locomotives found their new home in Nuremberg and Hof. The latter was a well-known ’86 Territory. In 1974, the last DRG Class 86 was retired from the DB.
At the Deutsche Reichbahn the DRG Class 86 was stationed mainly in the Bw Aue and some in the Bw Heringsdorf. The machines based in the Bw Heringsdorf were equipped with wind deflectors due to the almost constantly blowing crosswinds. In 1973, many locomotives were retired at the German Reich Railway. In May 1988, the DRG class 86 was finally decommissioned. In 1989 there was again a resentment on the trips to the 100th anniversary of the route Schlettau-Crottendorf. The 86 001 was with her 60 years of service, the locomotive with the longest duration of use.
Today there are no more 86 machines in service. There are still 13 locomotives, 9 of which are still in Germany. They are mainly found in museums.
Received DRG Class 86:
»86 001 (SEM Chemnitz) – the oldest machine in this series
»86 049 (VSE Schwarzenberg)
»86 056 (ÖGEG)
»86 240 as Tkt-16 in Poland
»86 283 (DDM Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg)
»86 333 (railway construction and operating company Pressnitztalbahn) – operational
»86 346 (UEF Ettlingen)
»86 348 (GES)
»86 457 (DB Museum)
»86 476 (ÖGEG)
»86 501 (ÖGEG)
»86 607 (VMD loan to Adorf, ÜK)
»86 744 (ÜK, Museum Railway Minden)