The DB Class V 100.10 diesel locomotive was to be used in light passenger and freight train service. This locomotive type was developed in 1956 in cooperation with the Bundesbahn Central Office in Munich and MaK for the German Railways.
The first six DB Class V 100.10 test locomotives were delivered in late autumn 1958. The locomotives, which were classified as V 100 001 – 005, were equipped with an 809 kW (1100 hp) engine. The V 100 006 was the only locomotive to be equipped with an engine with a power output of 993 kW and 1350 HP. It is the basis for the V 100.20, the later series 212. The V 100 007 was the seventh test locomotive built by MaK on its own account. It was the first V 100 to be built and was available to the
BZA Munich for test runs, four months before delivery of the remaining test locomotives. According to MaK’s plans, the V 100 007 was to be used as a demonstrator for an alternative motorization with the company’s own low-speed marine diesel engine. However, it was bought by the DB in 1959. The testing took the locomotive to Sweden, among other places.
Details of the DB Class V 100.10
- Manufacturer: MaK
- Length: 12100 mm
- Numbering: V 100 1001–1005 V 100 1007–1365 211 001–005 211 007–365
- Weight: 62 t
- Years of Construction: 1958 - 1963
- Top speed: 90-100 km/h (ab 211 008)
- Retirement: bis 2004
- Fuel supply: 2500 l Diesel
- Axle formula: B'B'
- Numbers: 364
- Power: 809 kW / 1100 PS
- Engine type: Maybach MD 650 Daimler-Benz MB 820 Bb MAN L 12 V 18/21 MAN V 6 V 18/21 Daimler-Benz MB 835 Ab
- Brake: Knorr Air Brake
- Train heating: Steam
- Train control system: Sifa / Indusi
The proven LT306r hydraulic torque converter transmission from the V 200.0, should be the first choice for the power class up to 1100 hp. However, this transmission no longer met the latest technical standards. It also offered no reserves to increase the input power beyond 1100 hp. For this reason, DB commissioned Voith to develop a new transmission, L216rs, in converter-converter-coupler design. This transmission could be adapted to a higher engine output by reducing the transmission ratio between the transmission input shaft and the hollow shaft. This was later used for the 212 series and the transmission was designed as a single-shaft transmission. This means that pump wheels run on a hollow shaft in which the secondary shaft with the turbine wheels is located. The guide wheels are fixed to the gearbox housing. The mechanical secondary gear connects to the hydraulic part. It consists of the reversing and step gears. The LT306r, from the stock of the German Federal Railways, was installed in the locomotive 001 on a trial basis. Comparison runs with the L216rs produced more favourable fuel consumption values for the latter transmission, so that it went into series production. The Maybach-developed K104 Mekydro transmission was installed and tested in three production locomotives. They were then replaced by the series-produced gearboxes.
The test machines initially lacked wheel flange lubrication. The DB Class V 100.10 diesel locomotive could also be operated by remote control. This could be achieved via the 36-pole KWS cable. Only locomotives 005 and 006 could be operated remotely, and the maximum speed of all locomotives was initially limited to 90 km/h. This restriction was not for technical but for legal reasons. From 100 km/h maximum speed on, the EBO (Eisenbahn-Bau- und Betriebsordnung) demanded the Indusi (inductive train control of the three-frequency resonance type). The maximum speed was formally increased in 1965 by retrofitting the Indusi at the company Standard Elektrik Lorenz. In 1960 the pre-series machines 001 to 005 and 007 were redesigned as V 100 1001 to 1005 and 1007. In this way a better differentiation to the stronger V 100 006 could be achieved.
The series production of the DB Class V 100.10 diesel locomotive
The series delivery was from 1961 – 1963, and in addition to the MaK (V 100 100 1008-1026, 1044-1113), the locomotives were manufactured by Deutz (V 100 1114-1168), Maschinenfabrik Esslingen (V 100 1354-1365), Henschel (V 100 1169-1223), Jung (V 100 1027-1043, 1324-1353), Krauss-Maffei (V 100 1274-1323), and Krupp (V 100 1224-1273).
The series locomotives were mainly powered by Maybach and Mercedes Benz engines. MAN engines, which were only available in small numbers, were completely replaced by 1980. As with the test machines, the wheel flange lubrication and the Indusi were retrofitted at a later date.
At the beginning of the 1970s, statistical evaluations of the trouble-free mileage showed that the values were falling for the 211 series, which was due to damage to engines without piston oil cooling. These units react sensitively to frequent operation at rated engine power. The German Federal Railways therefore decided to remove the affected engines from the machines and to install them in the V 90 series, whose load profile included higher partial load shares. The 211 series received the piston oil-cooled engines in exchange. In numerous cases the engines with 1350 HP of the series 212 were installed. The engines were throttled down to 1100 hp if the original transmission remained in the locomotive. The 1350 hp engines were preferably installed as throttled engines, as they had also been procured without piston cooling, so that they could be put to a somewhat sparing residual use. The 1350 HP engine was only installed without throttle if the locomotive contained the reinforced transmission of the 212 series. By the conversion, the 211s could be used like the 212s. However, a redrawing into the 212 series was not carried out.
The DB Class V 100.10 series was classified as the 211 series in 1968 as part of the renumbering of the locomotives of the German Federal Railways. When it was taken over by Deutsche Bahn AG in 1994, the first digit (“1”) of the serial number was omitted.
From the early 1990s, a total of 36 locomotives of the V 100.10 series were taken over by ÖBB. Two of them were used as spare parts donors. The locomotives received a new main diesel engine and were in service as series 2048 until October 1, 2003. They were mainly used as locomotives for freight trains on branch lines.
In 1997, the OnRail company in Mettmann modernized eight locomotives of the V 100.10 series, which received, among other things, new engines and bodies. The rebuilt locomotives were sold to various private railways.
The last locomotive at DB was taken out of service in 2001, after almost forty years in service. The V 100 1023 was added to the inventory of the DB Museum Nuremberg after it was taken out of service. During a locomotive shed fire on October 17, 2005, the locomotive was severely damaged. In June/July 2006, the locomotive was scrapped, as were all the other burnt-out diesel locomotives in the museum.